A Dose of Culture from Your Cotswold’s Holiday Cottage, visit one of these 6 Great Museums in The Cotswold’s
6 Great Museums in the Cotswold’s
So, you’ve arrived in the Cotswolds, you’re on your holiday-Yes!! You’ve got your character cottage, the authentic beams and slightly weaving staircase have you hooked; the surrounding countryside is breathtaking, the English garden is charming and there’s something else very English going on here-a slightly grey day interspersed with showers. Hmmm….perfect day to take in the culture with these 6 Great Museums In The Cotswolds. There’s lots to love and enjoy here so we’ve highlighted the main points for each Museum so you can pick and choose at a glance.
The Cotwold Motoring Museum-Bourton on The Water
- Home to TV’s Brum!
- Vintage and classic cars & Motorcycles
- Toy Collection & memorabilia
- Exhibitions & Gallery
- Learning Zone
- Gift shop
- For real car enthusiasts you can also hire a 1970 MGB Mk2!
No cafe but Bourton itself has plenty of cafes, or bring a picnic and sit along the grassy area next the the pretty River Windrush that runs through the village! A great day out for all with or without the family.
The Ashmolean Museum Broadway
- Fine and decorative art from the 17th to the 21st centuries
- Displays on loan from the Ashmolean Museum.
- Paintings and furniture, given by Elias Ashmole to the University of Oxford in 1683.
- Ever-changing galleries of local artists work
No cafe, but Broadway has plenty within walking distance, this museum is not for kids or families, the more discerning visitor who would like a glimpse into the past will be very at home here. You could easily mosey around for a full day here, but half a day would be more realistic.
Court Barn Chipping Campden-A Museum of Craft & Design
Silver winner of the Cotswold Tourism Awards Small Visitor Attraction of the Year 2014!
- Celebrates talented local designers & craftspeople from the beginning of 20th Century
- Exhibitions changing, visit several times and still see more!
- True local heritage
- Museum shop, gifts & books inspired by its collection
- Family-‘Sit, think, write, create area’ & activity sheets to get everyone involved!
No cafe, but there’s plenty on offer at Chipping Campden! Enthuse & entertain the whole family, enough for a full day out
Chipping Norton History Society & Museum
- Chipping Nortons own local history
- Work & Life
- Collections of books & memorabilia
- See the history that shaped the Chipping Norton of today
No cafe, but Chipping Norton is pretty and full of places to visit to eat and drink. I would think you can entertain the family for a couple of hours here, but use the rest of the day to see Chipping Norton or one of the villages within a few minutes’ drive; Charlbury, Witney, Burford, Stourton, Hook Norton to name a few!
Wellington Aviation Museum-Moreton in Marsh
- Aviation memorabilia
- Moreton in Marsh-its own history of involvement in the World Wars
- Rare pieces
- Real sectioned Hercules
- Unframed aircraft prints
No cafe, open 1 day per week as it’s a private collection, pass an hour or so, longer if you are an enthusiast!
Cotswolds Cricket Museum-Stow on the Wold
Well, any excuse to go to the delightful Stow on the Wold, but if you’re a cricket enthusiast there’s even more reason!
- Treasure trove of artifacts from around the world
- Cricket through the ages
- Jazz & Buffet evening last Thursday of every month
Gorgeous tea & coffee lounge serving homemade cakes & great food. Free WiFi. You can easily spend most of the day here as a sports fan, enjoy lunch then go on to see more of the gorgeous shops, pubs, antiques and history of Stow on the Wold!
Inquire about staying in one of our self catering apartments now!